Using water spritzed acrylic blocks for background card effects

It's just 5 degrees C in Oxfordshire today - back to winter temperatures! However my card today reminds me of summer sunsets - that glorious mix of pastel hues & brooding blues - fingers crossed we make get to see some of these soon!


I've used a technique demonstrated by my Stampin Up fellow demonstator Lynne Fahey - it comprises using marvellous markers and scribbling onto acrylic pads (a bit like I did here a while ago) and then spritzing the block with water (I used vanilla smooch spray for a subtle shimmer to the inks) and then pressing onto cardstock, waiting for the water to be absorbed and voila - a lovely menagerie of colours all uniquely blended together.



I used marvellous markers in So Saffron, Rose Red, Pumpkin Pie and Not Quite Navy - not colours I would wear together but somehow they all blend beautifully! The butterfly was stamped from the Papillion Potpourri stamp set with the leaves from the Summer Silhouettes stamp set, both stamped in Basic Black. I wanted them to have a slightly shabby look so didn't ink them totally hence the patchiness. 

The sentiment is from the Bring on the Cake birthday sentiment set of 13 stamps for all birthday occasions.











Try the technique yourself - it's a great way to create a really individual piece of art. Back tomorrow with a seaside shot.